Tuesday, April 13, 2010

EEG Eve

I made up a holiday called EEG Eve last night and recruited a few friends to help me stay awake until 2am. Today I was scheduled for a sleep deprived EEG, so I couldn't sleep more than four hours in the 24 hours before the test and had to stay awake for the two hours before the test as well. I was thankful that they helped me stay awake (I yawned A LOT!) and also that they made an unfavorable experience into something enjoyable! I am constantly being amazed by how people here are willing to step up and love me in sacrificial ways when I tell them what I need, especially Ryan and Tim in recent weeks. Sleep is a precious thing to sacrifice for someone else's benefit! Tim drove me to the doctor one day last week when I was feeling really dizzy and Ryan got back up at 6am this morning to go on a walk with me so I wouldn't fall asleep between the time I needed to wake up and the time of my EEG (It's a lot harder to fall asleep when you're moving!). We have some quality, godly guys that work here, and it's refreshing to see men love others in selfless, sacrificial ways. That is not something I often expect of men or something that's common place in the world at large, which makes it even more beautiful, even more meaningful. It's neat how God communicates powerfully through them to teach me more about his character, about how he does not abandon us when we are in need, about how it's safe to submit to the care of others, about trust. Of course, they just say, "That's what friends are for." They're some quality people!




The EEG itself went well, didn't scare me like the MRI did. While I felt awful (dizzy) for the rest of the day after the MRI, I was just tired after the EEG. And I had some crazy hair (see picture!) afterwards from the gel they used. I've never had anyone draw on my head before (they did it to mark the location of where the sensors should go)! And they used some gel that was like a combination of clay and glue to connect the sensors and wires to my head. There was even a strobe light involved! And I dare you to try purposefully hyperventilating for three minutes, breathing really deeply and more quickly than normal. It's hard (and was part of the test)! Those were the highlights of the experience. Thanks for keeping up with my health adventures and praying for me. I appreciate you!!



I'm a little disapointed in the picture...it looked crazier in person :0)

1 Comments:

At April 15, 2010 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Amy said...

hey jo,

when do you hear about the results of the tests?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home