Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cardiologist Appointment

I met with the cardiologist today. Jen, my coworker and friend who has a nursing background, came with me. She helped me explain the particulars of what we learned below...

The cardiologist said I experience a common thing called vasovagal response. It can easily lead to fainting, and it is the most common cause of fainting. (The vagus nerve controls involuntary processes for all the organs in the chest and abdomen.) I do not need a pacemaker or medication. Many people live with this, and it is controlled best through behavioral responses, such as staying extremely hydrated, sitting down when I'm dizzy, and changing positions slowly (sitting to standing, laying to standing). The cardiologist said that stress, pain, nausea and vomiting, or "quick trips to urinate at night" can trigger a vasovagal response. He actually said that part in quotes, which made me laugh! We are looking into any metabolic cause for the fatigue I've felt the last two months as well.

Today I had an EKG in his office, which shows the electrical pattern of my heartbeats. He found nothing noteworthy. His main comment was that my pulse was low (46), which "sometimes happens with young men who exercise a lot." It didn't concern him much because I'm also young and healthy. He ordered an echo-cardiogram to verify that the structure of my heart is good and asked me to wear a Holter heart monitor for 24 hours to see what my heart rate looks like at various points during a regular day. He also ordered some blood work.

Of all the problems my doctors have searched for, this is one of the best possible outcomes. It seems easy to manage, and I understand what to do when I experience symptoms.


Find out more on the Mayo Clinic website: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vasovagal-syncope/DS00806


Upcoming dates of note:
April 22--EKG
April 26--echo cardiogram
April 26--wear a Holter monitor
April 30--follow up with neurologist
April 30--follow up with primary doctor
May 14---foll0w up with cardiologist

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home