Friday, January 2, 2009

Last Week on the Roof (For a While)

My home church in St. Louis is called Rooftop Community Church. Sometimes people wonder if we actually hold services on the roof of our building, but that's not the case. In fact, the name comes from Matthew 10:27, where Jesus the disciples to "shout from the rooftops" all that He'd been telling them in private. In essence, I think that's what evangelism is----telling everyone you can about what God's been telling you/who He is/how he's changed you. (The loud volume part being optional).



For the last four years, since I graduated from Truman and moved back to St. Louis, Rooftop has been my church home. It's been my Antioch, if you will. My sending-church. My home base. The intensity of my love for the people there has grown significantly even in the last year! Not only that---as a congregation and as individuals and as families---they have stepped up to provide about 75% of my monthly funding and much of my prayer support for future ministry. They have called, e-mailed, prayed, encouraged, worshiped, laughed, and cried with me over the last year. They have inspired me and challenged me. I'm sure they have only a hint of an idea about how much that has meant to me!





Last week we said our official "good-byes" as Pastor Matt and various leaders prayed for me. Starting tomorrow, most of my "shouting" will be done from other rooftops, in other locations. Possibly even in some places that don't have roofs!



First I'm moving to Florida to work the office of New Mission Systems International in the Publication Division, writing about all that God has been doing around the world and discerning what foreign country and type of ministry God is calling me to. Chances are I'll be "shouting" from Fort Myers for one to three years. Later I'll "shout" the good news from a still-unknown, yet much-anticipated foreign place.


Join me in praising God for Rooftop's involvement in the preparation process and the sending process! May He prepare both of us to "shout" His truth more fearlessly, passionately, and selflessly in 2009! Praise Him for 92% of my support!


My address at NMSI:
P.O. Box 547
Fort Myers, FL 33902

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home