Monday, December 22, 2008

You're a Lifesaver!


You're a life saver---literally! Jim, the dad of the family I live with in St. Louis, just recently graduated from EMT school! We're so proud of him! Melissa, his wife (shown in the picture), decorated a cookie cake and invited several of his friends over for a surprise graduation party! The symbol on the cake is the official EMT symbol and looks even cooler in person/close up! She did a great job coordinating (and surprising) him and it was fun to celebrate all his hard work!

On Christmas Day Melissa and I performed a song I wrote for him to extend the celebration and reiterate our excitement for him....all based on things I've learned about being an EMT from his excited conversation about the skills he's been acquiring over the last few months. Try acting it out/singing it! Songs with hand motions are guaranteed to prompt smiling!!!



EMTB---Emergency Medical Technician, Basic (To the Tune of “YMCA”)


Verse 1

Young man, take that black tag off me (rip tag off chest)
I said young man, death is far from me (push hands away from body)
I said young man, there’s still hope left for me (praying hands)
Nothings obstructing my airway (point to neck 2 times, both fingers)


Young man, it’s extrication time
I said young man, you’ll be covered in grime (both hands go from shoulders to hips)
I said young man, get that car off of mine (point to left, point to self)
Nothing’s going to stop you (clamp jaws of life 2 times)


Chorus:
I’m so glad that you’re my EMTB
I’m so glad that you’re my EMTB
You know everything about my vital signs (check wrist pulse)
When you talk to me, you calm my mind (wipe hand across head in relief)

I’m so glad that you’re my EMTB
I’m so glad that you’re my EMTB
Whether I am a stay and play or load and go (dance, jog)
There is nothing you don’t know (point to brain)

Verse 2:
Young man, now when the sirens sound (point finger, circle above head)
I said young man, reporting all you found (write on hand like clipboard)
I said young man, what do you need from me? (shrug)
I’ll try not to move my c-spine (hands perpendicular to shoulders two times)

No man does it by himself (wag finger)
I said young man, you work with a team well (hug other performer)
As we go there, to the E.R. (point finger, sweeping motion)
I’m sure that you can help me more (wave/come with me)

Sing Chorus Again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home