Saturday, May 2, 2009

Did You Get My Newsletter?

Sometime in mid-April, you should have received my newsletter. My first official, paper NMSI newsletter!!!! Potentially, you could receive up to three of those per year from me. If you did not receive it and want to, feel free to e-mail me and I'll add you to the list! I'm excited to share what God's doing in my life with the people who love me, support me financially, and pray for me!!!

Here are a few fun pictures...
This is our printer! I've recently learned to order toner, calibrate the printer, and ???

We print things on 11x17 pieces of paper, for the most part, which saves money because we pay "per click" for printing. That means that printing one piece of paper costs the same amount, no matter how large the piece of paper is. After printing multiple copies of a publication on the same piece of paper, we cut them apart with this fancy cutter. There is a lot of laughing that goes on by that cutter because it's hard to push the lever down sometimes. Also, that's where I make most of my mistakes, accidentally cutting of part of a letter of a word or making a cut that is a fraction of an inch off (that matters if you are putting the publication in the folder or sending it to the bulk mail). I'm learning (some days are better than others) that mistakes are not sins, to "cut" myself a little slack.

This is the fancy folder. It has a pretty good beat---when it starts folding it kind of sounds like someone is blasting some loud bass music from the car next to you while you're waiting for a stop light. I am quite grateful for the folder, though, as we recently have printed some brochures for the "How Will They Hear?" campaign (to raise money to build houses on campus to have room to train missionaries that are going to the field) that are on 12x18 paper and consequently are being folded by hand because they do not fit in the folder. So I'm thankful for the folder and Vicki, an aunt of one of our missionaries in Bulgaria, who has been volunteering in the PUB (we call it that here...it stands for "PUBlications" office) and folding brochures and tabbing and labeling newsletters.

Here are some examples of finished publications. Don't they look nice!??!!? These are my friends Derek and Ashley, who will be moving to Fort Myers soon (I hope!!!) to work in the Short-term Ministries division and with HIVHope. It's fun to e-mail people back and forth about the proof of their publication because I get to develop relationships with missionaries that I haven't met and keep up with a few of my friends. Yeah for e-mail!

This is a sheet of address labels, a giant disc of tabs (circular stickers that hold the newsletter together in the mail---we don't put them in envelopes) that I think looks kind of like an old time film reel, and a bulk mail tub. We sort out each newsletter into 1. foreign 2. local 3. all else as we tab and label. We get a cheaper rate on mailing local items (.118 cents) as opposed to all else (.162 cents). So that's a little more about what I do each day! I'm excited to include pictures! I'm at the Bread Co. using their free Internet right now and it totally makes me think of support-raising. I used free Bread Co. Internet a LOT during those months! I guess Florida is not a TOTALLY different world.... :0)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home