Monday, August 11, 2008

He's More Than You Can Imagine...

I recently read The Shack by William P. Young. It was so good I almost had the whole thing done in one day! It's about this Dad whose daughter is kidnapped and killed (it wasn't gory---the word "blood" was probably in the book a total of three times) and how God leads the Dad---his name was Mack----back to the place where his daughter died to work through his inaccurate perceptions of God, forgiveness, etc. The most interesting part is how the author depicts God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, the types of characters that he casts them as and how they interact with each other and with Mack.

One of the things that hit me most was when God gently and lovingly told Mack, "I am not who you think I am, Mackenzie." That phrase really resonated with me. In essence, He was saying, "There's so much MORE to me than what you believe about me. I am so much BETTER than how you currently perceive me!"

God could totally say that to me right now: "I'm not who you think I am, Joanne." It's a freeing realization, really. Even though it means I don't understand Him. He's so much MORE than I can imagine! A lot of times I end up painting God to be like humans that I know, but He's so much more than that. As my friend Helen from COAT would say, "God has to be different. He just has to be." Will you pray that God will paint an accurate view of Himself for me in the coming months? What a joy that will be to see!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At August 11, 2008 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Abigail said...

God is gets bigger the more we grow in Him (thank you narnia) - it's wonderful! thank you for your wonderful email!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home